Saturday, August 14, 2010

Indian Gardens pt 1

This was the view on the way down. A huge monsoon storm had rolled in around 4am and was pounding. We started our hike at around 9, so the rain had slowed, but was still going. At first we didn't know if we should wait, but it was the type of thing where it was going to rain all day. Lucky for us, rain in the Grand Canyon means everyone goes indoors. We had the entire trail to ourselves, and a few mule rides on occasion. It was absolutely lovely hiking weather, and beautiful watching the clouds dip below the rim of the Canyon. It felt much like Washington. We walked through clouds, at times cutting out visibility to the bottom. Because the clouds were blocking the sunlight, the chlorophyll in the plants were bursting, making everything so green it almost felt unreal. I am so, so happy I went. I wanted to get a chance to be able to camp out. It requires a permit, which can take 5 months in advance to receive, and I of course hadn't applied or anything before going up. I had no idea I was even going to get the job. The superintendent checks out a bunkhouse specifically for park employees, for a few people in the class to be able to use. I'll write more on the next post, about the bottom! There was so much greenery, I went a bit crazy taking pictures.


There are more on my flickr.













Song of the day: Angel Standing By- Jewel.

No comments: